Sunday, 23 August 2015

On (im)patience, or why I have two bat bags and two identical coats.



Lolita is a waiting game, but sometimes I don’t want to wait. The secondhand markets for my two favourite brands (Atelier-Pierrot and Moi-même-Moitié) are really, really slow. So when I see something uncommon, I get way too excited. 

A few months ago I posted about the untimely death of my leather bat bag and losing out on an auction to someone who doubled my max bid. Naturally, when I saw a reasonably priced auction on Y!Japan, I jumped on it. I asked my SS to put in a fairly low bid, only to see 6 other bidders immediately join in. Welp. I just went to bed at that point, fully expecting to have my max bid tripled by the next morning.

The next morning, I happened to find a super cheap one posted by a small-time seller. For some reason it wasn’t tagged with the brand name or anything, which would have made it less likely to be found.  Two bat bags listed in less than 24 hours?!  So I did what any idiot would do: I bid on that one too.

Long story short, I am now the proud owner of two identical bat bags. Now you’d think I’d have learned my lesson then, but a pattern is emerging here.

I saw a gorgeous Atelier-Pierrot winter coat was kicking around on Maiden Clothing for a while. I mulled it over for a few days before sending in an email order – the cheap price eventually won me over. After a day or two there was no confirmation email, and when I checked the item page it said sold out. Noooo! I was convinced I’d never see that coat again.

Strangely enough, that very same day someone on mbok put up a listing for the same coat in mint condition! Clearly, I was meant to have that coat. Providence in action…

…Maybe a little too much providence.  I got an apologetic email a few days later from Maiden Clothing saying that they couldn’t find it at first, but they’d finally located it in another store and had arranged to have it sent to me. They’d clearly gone through a lot of trouble trying to find the damn thing and had already sent it, so I couldn’t really say no at that point.

...Anyone want an Atelier-Pierrot winter coat?

2 comments:

  1. Well now you have a fancy bat bag on the right and a less fancy bag on the left. For the pub or whatever place you wouldn't want to take the pretty one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like the simpler one better! Not sure why, I think I just like how flat and clean it looks. The puffy one had a few dents, anyway. I've since sold it since...well, I can't really justify having 2 near-identical bags, haha :)

      Delete